Monday, February 23, 2009

A Chemo-Induced "Rape of the Lock"

Even Alexander Pope's genius invented militia of light spirits could not prevent the loss of my locks any more than it could that of Belinda from losing half her hair to the evil intentions of a suitor and a jealous coquette. (literature nerds check here: http://www.luminarium.org/eightlit/pope/popebib.php ).
I took my second chemo treatment Friday and noticed the small locks that were falling when I washed my hair. I was able to style my hair as usual, with less volume. Saturday, it was hands off the top of the hair while I curled the bottom, using hairspray more as adhesive than styling aid.
Sunday afternoon, while watching a movie, I noticed my collar forming an additional collar--of hair! My hair! Instant tears. Meltdown time.
It's not just the hair; it's the "in your face" confirmation that, yes, this cancer thing is real; you're a chemo patient. This is really happening.
And, I'm still traumatized from the Pixie cut my mom gave me when I was five!
Today I'm allowing myself some space to grieve the loss of my locks.
Tomorrow morning, new, big sexy hair from Madeleine's in the new, beautiful Sullivan Center, Saco, Maine http://www.sullivancenterofmaine.com/.
I'm confident that by the time I leave there, Ken, hair magician, and Tammy Ahearn, breast cancer survivor and owner of this wonderful resource for women, will help me through this transition with their support and humor.
My hair loss is another right of passage on this journey to beating cancer. I salute all the women on this path who have redefined beauty. I'm thinking especially of my fabulous Texas friends Teri and Theresa.

No comments:

Post a Comment